All schools receive special, additional funding to support the development of PE and Sport. St James' usually receives approximately £8500 per year.
We use our funding to:
- buy into our local Sports Partnership
- buy specialist coaching
- provide quality training for our staff
- purchase additional resources for PE lessons and for lunchtime playtimes
- provide specific PE workshops during our 'themed' weeks
- we employ a professional sportsman to provide Learning Support, as well as support our PE teaching across the school
We also encourage health and fitness through a variety of activities and curriculum based topics/themes, particularly in science and PSHME. We are part of the Daily Mile initiative, and every day all our children take part in running for a sustained period of time.
Our latest report can be found here
In 2018, our children enjoyed particular success in cricket and football, with three of our teams reaching County Finals.
In July 2016, we were proud to receive the School Games Silver Award for our work, and for the last three years, we have received the Gold Award.