Deciding which is the right school to apply to for your child’s education is very important. Our small school serves the Parish of St James, which includes the village of Biddenham and its surrounds.
As a Voluntary Aided school, all admissions decisions are made by the governing body against clear admissions criteria, which are available in our policy. For all admissions, we work closely with Bedford Borough Council, who co-ordinate the process of applications on our behalf.
For 2016/17 we have places for 25 children in each year group, from Reception to Year 4. Tours with the Head teacher are available most weeks, usually on Tuesday afternoons and places can be booked via the school office.
Spaces are available in some year groups; please contact the school office to arrange a visit.
How to apply
We work with Bedford Borough Council (BBC) as part of the Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme. This means that it manages and administers the admissions process.
If you wish to apply for a Reception place in our school, then you need to contact the BBC Admissions Team to request an Admissions Pack and application form (in September/ October) and you should return the completed form to them.
The contact details are:
School Admissions Service
Tel: (01234) 718120
Fax: (01234) 228846
Please read our admissions policy very carefully and ensure you understand the oversubscription criteria. Please also make sure you meet all published closing dates; failure to do so will mean your application will be considered after all other ‘on time’ applications. A map of our catchment area, the parish of St James, can be viewed here and a link to the 'parish finder' website can be found here.
There is an established appeals process if you are refused a place in the school. If you wish to appeal a decision made by the school, you should contact Bedford Borough Council, who manage the process; a link to the appeals website can be found here. Please note that the School is not able to discuss any appeal with you or advise you in any way.
Governors have determined their policy for 2018-2019, which can be downloaded here.
Starting School September 2017
Update for Parents
Offer letters have recently been sent out to parents
- Once we receive confirmation of accepted places from Bedford Borough Council, we will write to all new families. This is likely to be just before May half term
- Parents will be invited to a 'new parents' meeting on 7th June, at 6.30pm in the School Hall
- At this meeting, we will outline all the transition events available, share key information and provide all registration documents which will need completing
- This information will also be published on our website
- Term dates for 2017-2018 can be downloaded here; this also gives starting dates and arrangements for new Reception children
- Transition into Reception is a process which includes: home visits in September, stay and play sessions in June/July, staggered starts & part time days in September, moving to full time attendance when children are ready. Our approach to transition is based upon recent research which tells us that a good transition into school will secure smoother transitions later on in school life, including the big transition into secondary school. It is a proven and successful approach - we'll tell you more at our meeting in June!